Broward Landscape of Parkland, Florida wants to let you know that irrigating your lawn, especially in the state of Florida, is as integral in the maintenance of a spectacular lawn as anything you can do. Let’s go over the importance of irrigating your lawn.
Maintaining a Healthy Landscape & Water Bill
Many times residential and commercial property owners use excessive amounts of water to keep their grass and landscapes green and fresh. This is costing them more money than is necessary.
Watering systems are more efficient than any other form of watering. No more watering sidewalks or missing big patches of green turf. An irrigation system will put the exact amount of water, in the exact spots, exactly when it is needed. You can’t ask for anything more efficient.
You get the balance and consistency that hoses and moveable sprinklers can’t. Your lawn needs this water, so put in a dependable watering system to let your lawn shine.
Benefits of Irrigation
Installing an irrigation system helps transform your grass into the healthy, green, lawn you always wanted. Lawn irrigation systems are the most efficient way to ensure your yard gets the hydration it needs without over-watering.
- Save Time: Irrigation systems work on their own, so no more wasting time manually watering. Have more time to do the things you want, while your lawn gets what it needs to thrive.
- Save Money: The benefits of an irrigation system outweigh the initial cost of the system, which will pay for itself soon enough.
- Save Water: Installing an irrigation system can conserve water while maintaining a healthy landscape.
Overall Water Management
There is a slight problem as most residential property owners use excessive amounts of water to keep their turf and landscape green and fresh. This is costing them more money than is necessary. By learning to water your lawn properly with the help of a watering system, you can conserve a significant amount of water and still get the healthy beautiful lawn you want.
Recommended Watering Schedule
Established lawns require far less water than newly sodded areas. For the cooler spring and fall seasons, decrease watering to every other day. For the hotter summer months, we recommend that you water five to six times a week. Watering between 3-6 AM is the ideal time to take advantage of the coolest time of the morning. Complete the watering prior to sunrise to allow the water to infiltrate the soil as much as possible.
For newly installed sod, we recommend that you water at least two times a day. In the case of extreme heat, it might be necessary to add a third watering. Once the grow-in period of a few weeks has passed, it is recommended to reduce the watering frequency.
For twice a day watering, schedule your system for 3-6 AM and 6-8 PM.
The Difference Between Over-Watering Vs. Under-Watering
Signs of Over-Watering:
- Blades wilt & feel limp
- Increased mowing necessary due to thick thatch growth
- Lawn remains soggy for longer periods
Signs of Under-Watering:
- Blades wilt & feel crisp
- Soil is dry
- Grass does not quickly spring back when stepped on
- Slower blade growth
Over-Watering Can Lead to Disease Pressure:
Too much water makes your lawn more susceptible to disease. Here’s what to look for to help keep your lawn healthy and green.
- Rotting that occurs in the thatch in areas not getting direct sunlight
- Root Rot, a fungal disease that starts at the root system, causing a lawn to turn yellow then brown
- Moss – Usually appears in moist conditions in places with high levels of shade
- Powdery Mildew – A disease that leaves a powdery-white substance over the lawn’s surface
- Brown Patch Lawn Disease – A turf fungus that creates a brown circle in the lawn
Signs of a Healthy Lawn:
- A fairly even green color range from green to dark-grey green
- Grass blades bounce back almost immediately when walked on
- Even thatch at the soil level
- Blades will have fairly even thickness
Saving Green While Conserving Blue
Installing and maintaining residential and commercial sprinkler systems helps avoid over-watering, which reduces water waste and eliminates runoff, ensuring a safe and healthy water supply for future generations.
Plus, you still get a head-turning, green turf that stays watered and healthy during the entire growing season for a beautiful landscape you can be proud of.
Broward Landscape is the South Florida leader in landscape design, outdoor living spaces, outdoor kitchens, bars, outdoor fire pits, exterior lighting, pavers, decking, walkways, tree care, sprinkler repair, pergolas and arbors. Our reputation and results speak for themselves. This includes large-scale corporate environments, city parks, shopping malls and apartment complexes, condominiums and homeowner associations. Our experienced landscaper designers set the standard each day in landscape design and hardscaping. We are the landscapers that light up your life!